Friday 1st July 2016 - EVENTS CONFIRMED
The date marks the first anniversary of the passing away of Sir Nicholas Winton and the 77th anniversary of the arrival in Harwich and London of his largest single transport of 241 children, on 1st July 1939. Various events in Harwich during the day will commemorate the entire Kindertransport operation, including:
- The Redoubt Fort will have a Kindertransport exhibition on display with free entry.
- A Service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance for the Kindertransports in the St Nicholas Church, Harwich.
- The annual Harwich Children’s Carnival with over 1,000 local school children featuring an appropriate theme.
- Special screenings in the Electric Palace Cinema of Kindertransport related material.
- Electric special train will bring Kinder, their families, VIPs, school groups and guests to Harwich from London Liverpool Street.
- Vintage bus rides to the Kindertransport memorial on Harbour Crescent and the site of the Warner’s holiday camp in Dovercourt.
- Kinder will be welcomed back to Harwich by the Mayor of Harwich, civic dignitaries and local school children.
Special trains are planned to operate to Harwich for the day, as follows:
- ** POSTPONED ** - A special train comprising the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust’s new-build steam locomotive “Tornado” and a set of vintage carriages will not be able to operate in 2016, but it is hoped we may be able to operate this on a future occasion, see here…
- ** CONFIRMED ** - A special electric train for Kinder, their family, VIPs, guests and school children will operate from London Liverpool Street to Harwich International (Parkeston Quay), the UK port where the vast majority of Kindertransport groups arrived, for details of this see here…
- ** POSTPONED ** - Hourly steam-hauled shuttle trains running from Harwich Town from 12:05-16:05 for Kinder, their family, VIPs, guests, school children, local residents and the general public will not be able to operate in 2016, but it is hoped we may be able to operate this on a future occasion, see here…
Please note that the special trains planned all require a minimum number of passengers to be reached in order to guarantee they will operate.
For other events planned for 2016-2017 see here.